Love rights – the bottom lines
Your love rights are kind of like your human rights – they’re the things you should expect from a relationship.
We all have the right to
- be listened to
- have our needs taken seriously
- disagree or to say ‘no’ without feeling guilty
- express our own opinions
- be treated with respect and as an equal
- decide how much time we want to spend with a partner
- not be hurt, hit, put-down, manipulated, or controlled
- decide to spend some time on our own, or with our own friends and family
- talk to whoever we want
- decide not to have sex for any reason
- make our own decisions about our life, and
- fall out of love, or to leave a relationship.
If you’re in a relationship and don’t feel like you have these rights, there might be something wrong with how you’re being treated. Do the quiz: Is it love or control?
Photo from Flickr by Karen Eliot