10 tips to make it last
How to keep your relationship happy and kicking along when you’ve been going out for a while.
1. Be open and honest, share your feelings and speak up about what you want and need.
2. Keep in touch with your friends. Good friends help keep you sane when things in your relationship are tough. They also give you more to talk about when things are good.
3. Be curious about your differences. The world would be boring if we were all the same. Ask your BF/GF about their ideas and views, and find out why they think the things they do. This helps you to understand where they’re coming from and to accept them for who they are.
4. Listen to each other. Good listening means putting your own feelings aside, so you can hear what they are telling you without giving criticism or advice.
5. Be spontaneous. Surprise your BF/GF with a fun activity, hold their hand, compliment them in front of friends or write an old fashioned love letter.
6. Ask - don’t assume that you know what they are thinking or how they’re feeling. Always check in to make sure.
7. Take care of your sexual health. If you’re having sex, keep talking about contraception and using condoms. Another reason to keep talking about sex is because sometimes what you like and don’t like to do changes over time.
8. Admit your mistakes. Don’t hold back when you know you have done something wrong. Saying sorry properly helps to stop built-up resentments.
9. Make time to do things outside the relationship, with friends and by yourself.
10. Remember what your BF/GF likes and what’s important to them. Every now and then do something with them that they like, even if you are not that into it.
Photo from Flickr by Frederick Dennstedt